Friday, September 9, 2011

Lara-Type Bars

One of my family's favorite snacks are Lara-Type Bars from Enlightened Cooking.  My six year old daughter actually broke down in tears this morning when she found out we were out and she couldn't take any with her to school.  I'll leave the recipe to her blog.  She did an excellent job describing and showing how to make them.



I found this by accident when I was searching for home-made snacks for my recently diagnosed wheat allergy husband.  (I believe it came up on a gluten free search.)  This snack also works perfectly for me since I am hypoglycemic.  The mix of protein and complex sugars fill and satisfies everyone in the family.  I had never had a Larabar before but we are now hooked on these!

I have three notes of advice.  First, make sure to buy pitted dates.  The first time I made this, I didn't realize that I had bought the wrong type of dates.  It sounded like I had rocks in my food processor.  Second, it will seem like the paste will never form.  Right when I'm getting ready to give up - the nuts at the bottom will start to incorporate.  Finally, buy the ingredients on sale.  If all the items were purchased at full price these bars would cost a fortune.  However, by watching for sales I've bought the items for half price.

Now, I'm off to try to make some apple pie bars.  Yum!  Thanks Camilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment